TO ALL PLAYERS - IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT MUST BE DONE TODAY
To all Players,
Just a quick update to everyone regarding the Charlotte Amateur Adult Championships. We had over 180 entries this year and will begin play on Friday evening starting at 5pm in the following divisions: Men's Open Singles, Men's Open Doubles, Women's Open Singles and Open Mixed Doubles.
Below are more details and a VERY IMPORTANT step that ALL PLAYERS MUST complete:
* ALL PLAYERS MUST complete the Tournament Waiver and Player Registration on Match Tennis App before 4pm on Friday or you may be removed from the tournament. CLICK MORE INFO to access the Match Tennis App. The Match Tennis App serves two functions with this tournament: 1) It provides a medium for us to communicate court assignments to the players and for players to communicate back the results of the matches without having an in person tournament desk, which provides a safer environment for everyone and 2) It serves as a Communication Tool to players in regards to rain delays or other necessary communication.
* The seeding has been published for the Open divisions: Men's Singles, Men's Doubles, Women's Singles, Women's Doubles and Mixed Doubles. You have until 3pm today to challenge the seedings. At that time, the seeding for those events will stand. We used all information that was available to determine the seeding in those events. All other events (if there are seeds) used the latest USTA/North Carolina standings for that NTRP division.
Al divisions will not call service lets. Any serve that hits the net and goes into the correct court shall be played. In doubles, either of the players on the returning team may play the serve once it hits the net.
* All players are expected to be at your playing site 15 minutes prior to your stated match start time. Once you arrive on site, you will check-in for your match using the Match Tennis App (which should also be done 15 minutes prior to your match time.). We will penalize players for lateness. Since we are using the Match Tennis App to communicate court assignments, please note that players who do not report to their court within 5 minutes of the tournament desk sending the court assignment may be penalized for lateness. The 5 minutes allowed to go to the court after the court assignment does not prevent a player from being penalized for lateness for checking in late.
* Once you receive your court assignment through the Match Tennis App, you must hit "CONFIRM" to acknowledge the court assignment and to input the score after the match. If you do not hit "CONFIRM" the app will not provide a link to input the score.
* All NTRP events (3.0, 3.5 etc) will use the Fast Four Playing Format and scoring. Each division (except Men's 4.0 Singles - see below) has been divided into an "A" Draw and a "B" draw. Players will compete in a round robin against all other players in their draw. The winning player from each draw will then play in the finals to be held at the end of round robin play. The scoring format used for the Fast Four events is best two-of-three short sets to 4 games with a set tiebreaker (first to 7 points) played at 3-3 in the set and a 9-point tiebreaker in lieu of the third set. No-ad scoring will be used which means that the duece point is the deciding point and the returning team decides which court to receive the serve on the game point point.
* To determine the winner of the round robin play, the following process will be used: 1) The best record of the teams in the round robin draw (Draw A or Draw B), 2) If there is a tie between two teams, then whoever won the head-to-head match will be determined the winner, 3) If there is a tie between three or more teams with the same match record, then the winner will be determined by the highest percentage of sets won, 3) If there is still a tie, then the winner will be determined by the highest percentage of games won. If there is a tie between two teams at any point in determining the tiebreaker, then the head-to-head winner will determine the winner.
* The procedure for a 9-point tiebreaker is as follows: The next person to serve will serve the first two points of the tiebreaker (one from the duece court and then one from the ad court). The other team/player will then serve the next two points. This rotation will continue until one team/player wins five points. If the score is tied at 4-4, one last point shall be played with the person who served the first point of the tiebreaker serving the final point. The receiving team/player chooses which court (duece or ad) to receive the deciding point. You do not have to win by two points in a 9-point tiebreaker and you switch ends after 4 points.
* Men's 4.0 Singles Division: We have 18 players in the Men's 4.0 Singles division. We have created five round robin groups: two groups with three players and three groups with four players. Each group will player the round robin within their group. The process listed above will be used to determine the first and second place finisher in each group. At the completion of round robin play, the winner of each group (5 total players) and three of the second-place finishers chosen at random will be placed into a 8-player draw to play for the championship. The round robin play will be held on Saturday afternoon with the quarterfinals of the championship bracket to follow. The semifinals and finals will be played on Sunday. We are working on final scheduling today and expect to publish the draws this afternoon.
the 2nd Annual Charlotte Amateur Tennis
Championships presented by Atrium Health! We have an event
planned for everyone so please continue to read and see what you and your family
can come out and take part in!
MATCH PLAY: All matches will be held at the Queens University Marion Diehl Sports Complex location 2219 Tyvola Rd., Charlotte, NC 28210 and Jeff Adams Tennis Center 1200 West Tyvole Rd, Charlotte, 28217.
ADULT OPEN: $2500 in prize money!!!
The Open Divisions will be prize money events. The Champion of each division will receive the following:
Men's Singles Champion $800
Women's Singles Champion $800
Men's Doubles Champion $300 per teamWomen's Doubles Champion $300 per team
Open Mixed Doubles $300 per team
Seeding will based on all available information.
The format for the Open Divisions will be as follows:
Best 2-of-3 tiebreak sets with a match tiebreaker in lieu of a full third set until the finals of each draw. The finals will be the best 2-of-3 tiebreak sets with a FULL third set.
ALL PLAYERS TO RECIEVE AT SITE; A SPORTS TOWEL AND TOURNAMENT T-SHIRT
For USTA ADULT tournament players, we have 3 options for you!
An OPEN, FAST 4 ntrp 1 day (depending on draw size) and a WHEELCHAIR division played with the 1
below for specific information for each!
FAST4 Details and Schedule
The shortened format for each set offers a "fast" alternative to tennis, with four points, four games, and 5 rules:
*No-Ad scoring is used* Service lets are played *Tie-breaks are played at 3 games all* The 1st to four games wins the set* Best 2-out-of-3 Fast 4 sets will be used. First-to-five-point tiebreakers apply at 3 games all! You may register for up to 2 events as all play will be in 1 day except for larger draws, those may be played on SUNDAY and would be FINALS!
Place and times: Marion Diehl Tennis Complex, and auxiliary sites(tbd) if needed based on draw sizes
WHEELCHAIR 1 up format
This component of the Championships will not be for USTA points, it is meant to be a social event! You may register by contacting Helen Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIRTUALTOURNAMENT DESK - ACTION REQUIRED **Required for All Players**
response to the COVID-19 and associated regulations, we will be using Match
Tennis App’s Virtual Tournament Desk technology to help facilitate CDC best
practices. To access the Match Tennis App for FREE, you must use the link in
the information below. If you went directly to the website or through an app
store, you will be asked to pay for use of the app. ALL competitors MUST click the below link to fill out the check-in
form, and sign the waiver in order to compete in this event.
How to check in
* (You can always chat with the app developers if
you get stuck. On a computer or iPad, there is a thought bubble icon in the
bottom righthand side of your browser screen. Click on it and chat with them.
On the app it is in the bottom left-hand part of the screen. They can help you
PLAYER AND SPECTATOR POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
players and spectators MUST follow the directions given below to
participate in this tournament.
To ensure public safety during the COVID
pandemic, all players and spectators MUST follow the regulations listed or
directions given by tournament officials or staff. Any player or spectator that
does not follow the protocols set forth below can be removed from the
tournament and asked to leave the premises.
b. All players are required to wear a face covering to and from the court.
Players and spectators are encouraged to bring
their own chairs and water to each match. Court and site seating for players and spectators will not be available. Water is
only available by touch less bottle. No water fountains are available.
Players and their parties are expected to
remain in or by their cars or leave the facility at any time they are not on
court playing a match. Players are limited to one other person in their party.
Spectator watching is NOT encouraged. Social
distancing (6 feet or more away from non-family members) should be adhered to. Use of your own chairs is
recommended. This is unfortunate but this is the reality in the times we are
All matches will be played by The Code for officiated
matches. Officials will be available for rules questions or to settle other
disputes, but will not be on the court serving as line judges during the
The protocol for all matches will be as
follows: - Players will arrive on site, REMAIN IN OR NEAR THEIR CAR and check
in through the Match Tennis App a minimum of 15 minutes prior to their
scheduled match time.
To do this
1. Login to Match Tennis App
2. On the
calendar find and click on the tournament you are playing
3. Click the red
“Match Check-In button
4. Click the blue check in button to view confirmation
date and timestamp that will be sent to the Director.
All four players will receive a text
message with the court assignment and a link to confirm receipt from the
tournament staff. All players must click the blue link to verify they received
the match page and are reporting to their assigned court to begin play.
- Players will spin the racquet themselves to determine choice of serve or
side. Balls will already be placed on the court at the net for the match.
***One can of balls will be used for each match unless a request is made per
below: Any player may request that their matches use two or three cans of
tennis balls (so each player to at least two of their own balls to serve with)
so long as the request is made PRIOR to checking in for their match by texting
the request with the player’s name to 305-731-3082. If a match is using two or
three cans of balls, Players need to mark the balls using markers or other
items that is acceptable to all players with their own markers.
- Upon completion of the match, players will have five minutes to leave the
court, drop their match balls into the designated box and submit their final
score through the Match Tennis App. REPORT MATCH SCORE – click link you
received in your court assignment text. You will see the “match confirmed” page
with a form to complete to submit score after the match. If you want to see
your next match times, Click the “VIEW DRAW USTA” button to see next match
Players are selected manually by the tournament director after the close of registration.
Entry to this tournament is open to all USTA members. Entries must be submitted by Tuesday, September 8, 2020 11:59:00 PM Eastern Time. Only USTA members can register online if available.
In the future, you can jump straight to this tournament by entering the tournament identification number: 700125020 from the searchable schedule homepage.
To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information,
please go to your browser's help menu.