GENERAL TOURNAMENT INFO
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE REGISTERING! When you register, be sure to provide your email address and cell phone number during the registration process. We do not have access to phone numbers and email addresses of the tournament participants UNLESS the player re-enters their contact information at the time of the event registration. This means that if a player does not enter their phone number and email information each time they register for a tournament, we will not be able to contact them for any reason, including withdrawals, defaults, etc. Your cooperation will ensure that we can continue to communicate necessary information to all of the tournament players.
WHAT IS THE BOYS 18's NATIONAL TEAM
The Boys’ and Girls’ 18s National Team Championships
(National Teams) are team events with matches played between teams from the 17
Sections of the USTA in late July each year. They are the highest level of team
competition in the U.S. and have been designated as Level 1 National Ranking
Tournaments. The National Teams provide an opportunity for NorCal’s top juniors
to be seen by college coaches and to compete against top juniors from other
USTA Sections. It’s a great opportunity to play on a fun team and to develop
and improve physical, mental, and emotional skills. These events also allow
players to experience a competitive team atmosphere and on-court coaching, just
like college tennis. USTA NorCal will send its strongest players to compete for
the National Team title.
ENTRY & SELECTION & PAYMENT
To be considered for this event, each player must complete the following steps.
1. register online (deadline is June 20th)
2. complete the online waivers (below)
Team selection, including alternates, will be announced to all applicants by the end of Friday, June 23rd via email. Alternates do not travel to the event.
ONLINE WAIVERS - (reference number will show after you have successfully complete each waiver)
Please copy and paste the links into your web browser to access the waiver forms.
(1) Medical Information Form:
(2) Player Information
(3) Rules of Player Conduct
(4) Waiver and Release
(5) USTA Release
(6) Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information
(7) 2016 National Waiver & Release. Please complete this Release and Wavier, sign it, have your parent or guardian sign it, and take the signed form with you to the tournament you are entering and must be presented at on-site registration in order to participate in the event. Please use black ink and print clearly: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ustaassets/assets/635/15/2016_usta_release__waiver.pdf
Note: Be sure to provide your email address and cell phone number during the registration process.
Selected players will be required to make an online payment to confirm their spot on the team. Players will be charged after getting selected.
Champagne-Urbana, Illinois (hard court)
FORMAT & SCHEDULE
A team match consists of a collegiate format of six (6) singles and three (3) doubles. Singles matches will be best of 3 tie-break sets. Doubles matches will be 8-game Pro Sets with a 7 Point Tiebreak at 8 games all. Singles matches will count one point each. The team that wins at least two doubles matches out of the three will receive one point.
A Compass Draw will be used and each team will play at least one round per day for four days.
Match-play begins on July 30th and ends August 2nd. If selected, players should plan to arrive on the 28th and must commit to the entire schedule. On the return trip, please schedule your departure for after 4:00PM around the same time as the team coach’s to allow time to get to the airport! Please see below under TRAVEL & MEALS.
For players competing at the USTA National Championships in Kalamazoo, there will be a shuttle departing from the National Teams tournament site and arriving at the official tournament hotel in Kalamazoo. More information about the shuttle service will be posted at a later time.
Registering for this event does not mean that you will automatically be selected. Selections will be based on the NorCal June Ranking list that will be published after the USTA NorCal Sectional Championships.
Seven boys for the team will be selected from the applicants as follows:
• The winner of the USTA NorCal Sectional Championships (up to 1 player)
• A player not yet selected with the highest ranking among the applicants on the most recently published NorCal Final Ranking List (up to 1 player)
• Up to 2 Wild Card players may be selected (up to 2 player)
• Players not previously selected that are in the top 100 of the most recently published National Standing List AND who have played to completion at least one USTA NorCal Championship, Super Series, or Excellence Tournament in any division within the immediately preceding 6 months, selected by order of standing.*
• Vacancies will be filled with players from the most recently published sectional Final Ranking Lists, selected by order of rank.
* Playing the tournament to completion means a player must not have withdrawn from the tournament without playing a match. Matches won by withdrawal, walkover, default and retirement count as playing a match.
The 7th boy slated to play last in the lineup will be specifically advised of his status and policy for playing as the 7th team member. Policy for 7th Team Member: Every team member must play in at least one official Team Match per day and at least one official team singles match during the entire competition. For example, the #7 player can play doubles every day, except one day on which that player must play singles.
Team selection, including alternates, will be announced to all applicants by the end of June 23rd via email. Alternates do not travel to the event.
WILDCARD REQUEST FORM - Due June 20, 2016
Wild cards are available for junior players to play in USTA NorCal Sectional Championships, USTA Zone Team Championships and USTA National Team Championships, and USTA Intersectional Team Championships. Please copy and paste the link into your web browser to access the Wildcard Request Form.
2016 Wildcard Request Form: http://assets.usta.com/assets/635/15/NorCal_Wild_Card_Request.pdf
Line-ups will be ordered as follows:
• Players in the top 100 of the most recently published National Standings List will be ordered first, in the order of their standing.
• Remaining players are ordered by rank using the most recently published NorCal Final Ranking Lists.
• Wild Card recipients will be placed in the lineup as determined by the Wild Card Committee.
Line-up will be announced to the participants as soon as possible after selection is determined.
Players will receive sectional and national ranking points for each win in singles and doubles.
For USTA NorCal, each player will receive 150 sectional ranking points for each win in singles and doubles, regardless of the position of the player on the team.
For USTA, national ranking points will vary since ranking points earned are based on the playing position of each player on the line-up. Any Bonus Points earned will be added to the total for national rankings.
TRAVEL & MEALS
Players are responsible for the cost of airfare and meal expenses. Once a team coach has been selected, players will receive information about his/her itinerary to help arrange same flights or similar arrival/departure times. Some meals will be provided at the tournament site.
The USTA Northern California Section will select and send one (1) team coach to the event. The coach is responsible for the well-being of all players once the trip begins. The team coach may coach players at specific times during matches. Players’ personal coaches and parents are NOT permitted to coach during this event.
ALL players selected are expected to attend a MANDATORY team practice with the team coaches on July 2nd at Stanford University.The approximately 3-hour team workout event will include no less than 2 hours of tennis and a meeting/party with food following tennis. There is no charge to the team workout.
This team workout will be held by the team coaches and USTA NorCal staff for the participants in the USTA Boys’ and Girls’ 16, 14, and 12 Zone Team Championships, 16 and 14 Intersectional Team Championships, and the USTA Boys’ and Girls’ 18 National Team Championships. Attendance by the team coaches is mandatory. Attendance by the team managers is mandatory. Attendance by the players is mandatory, unless clearance is given by USTA NorCal.
The purposes of this workout include:
-build team spirit and camaraderie
-introduce the coaches to the players and parents
-allow for time to review policies and rules, prior to arriving at the tournament, with the opportunity to ask questions
-finalize the arrival logistics of the coaches, team managers, and players
-secure parents to volunteer (w/ managers) to organize meals, to better allow the coaches to concentrate on coaching