B16 Alternate List - November 19 @ 1:50 pm PT
G16 Alternate List - November 19 @ 10:46 am PT
INCLEMENT WEATHER POSTPONEMENT - as of 7:45 am Monday Morning
Weather Update: All matches have pushed back 1 1/2 hours for Monday play.
DRAW SHEET SITE ABBREVIATIONS
Seascape Sports Club: SEASC on Draw Sheet
1505 Seascape Blvd, Aptos, CA 95003
Seascape Tournament Desk Phone Number: (772) 285-7378
Aptos High School: APTOS on Draw Sheet
100 Mariner Way, Aptos, CA 95003
Aptos HS Tournament Desk Phone Number: (408) 314-1567
UC Santa Cruz East: SC-E on Draw Sheet
420 Hagar Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95064
UC Santa Cruz East Tournament Desk Phone Number: (510) 759-3535
UC Santa Cruz West: SC-W on Draw Sheet
200 Heller Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95064
UC Santa Cruz West Tournament Desk Phone Number: (520) 818-4157
• Holiday Inn Express Room Block - November 7th Cut Off Date
$139.99 Wed/$189.99 Thurs/$149.99 Fri-Sat/$139.99 Sun
1410 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 • (831) 466-9100
Group Name: Seascape Sports Club - reservations must be made by phone
Amenities: Free internet, complimentary Fresh Start Breakfast Bar
$7.00 parking fee per night
• Best Western Plus Capitola-by-the-Sea Inn & Suites Room Block - November 10th Cut Off Date
$208.24-$216.74 Thurs/$191.24-199.74 Fri-Sat/$123.24-$131.74 Sun
1435 41st Ave, Capitola, CA 95010 • (831) 477-0607
Group Name: Seascape Sports Club - reservations must be made by phone
Amenities: Free internet, free continental breakfast, laundry room on site; all rooms have a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker.
Cancellations must be made by November 21 at 4 pm PT.
• Seascape Beach Resort - 10% Discount off of Best Available Pricing at Time of Reservation
Please note this property is a resort hotel located on the beach with pricing consistent with this type of accommodation.
One Seascape Resort Drive, Aptos, CA 95003 • (831) 688-6800
Group Name: Seascape Sports Club - reservations must be made by phone
Amenities: Free internet, gym; some rooms include fully equipped kitchenette
• Other Hotels in the Area
Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn: 7500 Old Dominion Court, Aptos, CA 95003 • (831) 688-7300
Capitola Hotel: 210 Esplanade, Capitola, CA 95010 • (831) 476-1278
Capitola Venetian Hotel: 1500 Wharf Road, Capitola, CA • (831) 476-6471
Chained Resort & Spa: 1 Chaminade Lane, Santa Cruz, CA 95065 • (831) 475-5600
Comfort Inn Watsonville: 112 Airport Blvd., Watsonville, CA 95076 • (831) 728-3700
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola: 1255 41st Avenue, Capitola, CA 95010 • (831) 427-2900
Motel 6 Watsonville: 125 Silver Leaf Drive, Watsonville, CA • (831) 728-4144
Quality Inn: 720 Hill Street, Capitola, CA 95010 • (831) 462-3004
Rio Sands: 116 Aptos Beach Drive, Aptos, CA 95003 • (831) 688-3207
Roadway Inn Watsonville: 1620 West Beach Street Watsonville, CA 95076 • (831) 740-4520
IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ BEFORE ENTERING
Thank you for your interest in playing the Boys’ and Girls’ 16 USTA National Selection Tournament at Seascape Sports Club. During the registration process, please provide your telephone number (cell phone preferred) and email address. Failure to provide your contact information will limit the tournament’s ability to contact you.
Players must meet the eligibility requirements for competing in a USTA National Championship. Click the link that follows for more information.
Entries close for the tournament at 11:59 am Eastern Time/8:59 am Pacific Time on Thursday, October 27th. To avoid potential problems that arise when attempting to register at the last minute, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that players enter well in advance of the deadline. A player that does not enter by the deadline is only eligible to be a Late Applicant and is placed on the bottom of the Singles Alternate List and is prioritized last for selection into the draw.
Note: Doubles entries are due at a later date - see information under Doubles below.
ENTERING CONCURRENT TOURNAMENTS
Concurrent National Tournaments:
Without special permission, the USTA permits players to enter:
• up to two age divisions of up to four concurrent USTA National Selection Tournaments (Level 2)
• up to two age divisions of up to four sites of concurrent Open USTA Regional Tournaments (Level 4)
Detailed information on the consequences and responsibilities of entering multiple divisions can be found by clicking the link below. Please contact the Tournament Director (contact information above) if you have any questions regarding the concurrent entry policy.
Freeze Deadline for Players Entering USTA National Selection Tournament and Open USTA Regional Tournament - Wednesday, November 9th:
The Freeze Deadline is the deadline by which a player that is on the alternate list of a USTA National Selection Tournament and the accepted player list of an Open USTA Regional Tournament has to commit to being on one list. See link above related to entering more than one tournament - information on the Freeze Deadline is also available on that web page. More detailed information will be sent to players by the USTA that the Freeze Deadline applies to.
Other Concurrent Tournaments:
When entries close, a player shall not be entered in this tournament and another USTA-sanctioned tournament if any parts of the tournaments overlap, unless both Tournament Committees involved understand the situation and concur in writing. If entries for the overlapping tournaments close on different dates, approval must be received from all Tournament Committees no later than the entry closing date that occurs last. Players who enter a tournament and play it to completion, may then enter another tournament with overlapping dates without permission. A player who is on the alternate list in one tournament is not considered in violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule if they enter another concurrent tournament. Players desiring to enter more a tournament that overlaps must email the Tournament Director to request permission on or before entries close and receive this permission before entering.
MANDATORY USTA WAIVER & RELEASE FORM
All players are required to submit a signed USTA Waiver & Release Form before competing in the tournament. A copy of the form will be sent to all accepted players shortly after selection. Applicants are encouraged to take care of this administrative task as soon as possible after tournament selection.
NATIONAL RANKING LEVEL & POINTS
The November USTA National Selection Tournaments are Level 2 USTA National Ranking Tournaments. Ranking Points are earned based on the player's result in the tournament. Click the link below to view the national ranking point tables:
Singles Table: Feed-in Championship (FIC) through Round of 16 Draw Format
Doubles Table: Single Elimination Draw Format
DRAW AND MATCH FORMAT INFORMATION
Singles Draw and Match Format Information:
The singles draw size is limited to 64 players. A Feed-In Championship whereby players are fed into the consolation through the Round of 16 will be played. The losing quarterfinalists will play off for 5th and 6th place and a playoff for 3rd and 4th place will also be held. All main draw matches and the 3rd/4th playoff will be the best of 3 Tiebreak sets; all consolation matches (including the quarterfinal playoff matches) will be the best of 3 Tiebreak sets with a 10-Point Match Tiebreak played in lieu of the 3rd set.
Doubles Draw and Match Format Information:
The doubles draw size is limited to 32 teams. A single elimination format with a playoff for 3rd and 4th place will be played. All matches will be an 8-game pro set with a 7-Point Tiebreak at 8 games all.
TOURNAMENT SELECTION AND SINGLES ALTERNATE INFORMATION
Tournament Selection Process:
Selection for the four concurrent USTA Girls' 16 National Selection Tournaments will be based on the most recently published National Standings Lists as of the date entries close as follows:
• Up to 40 (10 per draw) that are in the top 100 of the Boys’/Girls' 14 National Standings List.
• Up to 216 (54 per draw) from the Boys’/Girls' 16 National Standings List
• If vacancies remain, players from the Boys’/Girls' 16 National Standings List
• If vacancies remain, players from the Boys’/Girls' 14 National Standings List
Players not selected for their first choice shall remain in the pool of applicants for entry into other concurrent USTA National Selection Tournaments.
Singles Alternate List:
Those players who have not been selected after all four USTA Boys'/Girls' 16 National Selection Tournaments draws have been filled shall be placed in alternate pools at all concurrent USTA National Selection Tournaments for which the players indicated a preference. Alternates will be ordered as follows:
• Players that are in the top 600 of the Boys’/Girls' 16 National Standings List
• Players that are in the top 400 on the Boys’/Girls' 14 National Standings List
• From the Boy’s/’Girls' 16 National Standings List
• From the Boys’/Girls' 14 National Standings List
• By Lot
• Late Applicants: A Late Applicant is a player who enters after the entry deadline. Regardless of position on the National Standings Lists, a Late Applicant is placed on the bottom of the Alternate List in the order in which it is received. Two Late Entries received at the same time are ordered by lot.
Publication of Selection and Alternate Lists:
The list of players selected for the tournament will be published to the "Players" Tab on this website on or about Monday, October 31st. All players not selected will be published to the "Alternates" Tab on this website at the same time. As soon as possible thereafter, an ordered list of alternates will be published to the top of this "Important Info" Tab. The ordered Alternate List will be used to replace players that withdraw from the tournament.
Onsite Alternates are those players/teams on the Alternate Lists who have come to the tournament site to be a last-minute replacement for a withdrawing player or team. Onsite Alternates may be admitted into the singles main draw to replace withdrawing players until the completion of the first round of play. Any player or team receiving a bye or withdrawal in the first round can also be replaced by an on-site alternate in the second round because this player has not yet played a match in the event. On-Site Alternates may not play in the Feed-In Championship unless they have first played in the singles main draw.
Any alternate player or team desiring admittance must check in and be ready for play no later than 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled match time of the event for which they are an alternate. Contact the Tournament Director for the location of check in. The order of the alternates is based on the original Alternate Lists published by the tournament, not a more recently published list, and not in the order in which the players check in.
Doubles Entry Deadline - Monday, November 21st at 8:00 pm Eastern Time/5:00 pm Pacific Time:
All singles players and alternates (including Late Entries) are eligible to enter the doubles, regardless of whether they registered with as a team with another player by the October 27th TennisLink entry deadline.
• Teams that enter by the October 27th TennisLink entry deadline will be considered entered as a team in the tournament unless the Tournament Director receives in writing notice by Monday, November 21st at 8:00 pm ET/5:00 pm PT from both players that they no longer want to be considered for selection as a team.
• Players that did not enter with a partner by the October 27th entry deadline may submit an entry until 8:00 pm ET/5:00 pm PT on Monday, November 21st. Entries MUST come from both players as a verification that the players have agreed to compete as a team.
• The Tournament Committee WILL NOT randomly pair players together as a team; pairings are only made when authorized as described above.
Players Looking for Partners:
The Tournament Committee will use its best efforts to facilitate players find partners before the doubles entry deadline. If you're interested in entering, but do not have a partner, please send the Tournament Director an email (see above for email address) with the following information: name, division desiring to enter, telephone number, city and state of residence, USTA Membership Number, and a statement giving the Tournament Committee the authority to share your contact information with a prospective partner.
Selection of Doubles Teams and Ordering of Doubles Alternates:
The Tournament Committee shall accept 32 doubles teams into the doubles event and order doubles alternates in the following order:
1. All teams comprising two players in the singles draw shall be selected.
2. Teams comprising one player in the singles draw and singles alternate: If more than the maximum number of entries is received, selection order is based on the most recently published Boys’/Girls' 16 National Individual Doubles Seeding List (see Determining Order Using National Individual Doubles Seeding List below), except that no team comprised of a Late Applicant shall be selected before a team comprised of timely applicants.
3. Teams comprising two singles alternates: If more than the maximum number of entries is received, selection order is based on the most recently published Boys’/Girls' 16 National Individual Doubles Seeding List (see Determining Order Using National Individual Doubles Seeding List below), except that no team comprised of a Late Applicant shall be selected before a team comprised of timely applicants.
Determining Order Using National Individual Doubles Seeding List:
Teams shall be selected in the order of their combined standings using the most recently published National Individual Doubles Seeding List of the division of the event. For example, Player A holds the #1 standing and Player B holds the #10 standing. The Team of A&B would have the combined standing of 11. A team with a combined standing greater than 11 is selected after Team A&B. If there is a tie, the team with the player that has the highest doubles standing on the list shall be selected in the higher position.
Sixteen (16) players will be seeded in singles (8 seeded numerically; next 8 alphabetically). Singles seeding will be based on the most recently published Boys’/Girls' 16 National Singles Seeding List, except that:
• Players with top 50 standing on the Boys’/Girls' 14 National Singles Seeding List may be considered for seeding positions 9-16;
• Players on the Boys’/Girls' 16 National Singles Seeding List may be moved within seeding groups (1-4; 5-8; 9-16) due to direct wins if players are separated by fewer than 100 raking points; and
• Players on the Boys’/Girls' 16 National Singles Seeding List may be moved between seeding groups (1-4; 5-8; 9-16) due to direct wins if players are separated by fewer than 50 raking points.
Eight (8) teams will be numerically seeded in doubles. Doubles teams shall be seeded in the order of their combined standings using the most recently published National Doubles Seeding List. This is the same method used for selecting teams, except that teams may be moved within major groups (1-4; 5-8) due to direct wins if the teams are separated by fewer than 100 ranking points and teams may be moved between major groups due to direct wins if teams are separated by fewer than 50 ranking points.
Updated October 15
Provided inclement weather does not affect the tournament schedule all matches will be played on the on the days listed below. In the unlikely event that rain impacts play, arrangements have been made to use additional courts; however, no there is no indoor back up available. If necessary, information on alternate scheduling and sites will be communicated on this website.
Friday (Day 1)
Girls Play at UC Santa Cruz/Boys Play at Seascape Sports Club & Aptos HS
Round 1 and 2 Singles Main Draw
Round 1 Consolation Singles
Note: Doubles begins on Day 2
Saturday (Day 2)
Girls Play at UC Santa Cruz/Boys Play at Seascape Sports Club & Aptos HS
Round 1 and 2 Doubles
Round 3 and 4 (R16 and QF) Singles Main Draw
Round 2 and 3 Consolation Singles
Sunday (Day 3)
All Play at Seascape Sports Club & Aptos HS
Round 3 and 4 (QF and SF) Doubles
Round 5 (SF) Singles Main Draw
Round 1 Quarterfinal Playoff
Round 4 and 5 (R16 and QF) Consolation Singles
Monday (Day 4)
All Play at Seascape Sports Club
Singles Final, Singles 3rd/4th Playoff, Quarterfinal Playoff Final, Consolation Singles Semifinal
To Follow: Consolation Singles Final
Doubles Final and 3rd/4th Playoff: To be scheduled at the end of Day 3 taking into consideration players in singles matches and the need for appropriate rest.
Inclement Weather Information:
Information on if and how inclement weather affects the tournament schedule will be posted to top of this website as court conditions change. We also will use Twitter to update players on weather conditions - follow us at @SSCtournaments. Please note that this tournament DOES NOT have indoor back up. In the unlikely event matches have to be cancelled due to inclement weather, the order of cancellation is as follows: singles consolation, doubles, singles main draw.
Withdrawals Prior to Entry Deadline:
Prior to entries closing, a player may withdraw and automatically receive a refund of your entry fee by clicking on the "Withdrawal" link that is in the Edit Registration box at the top right of this page.
Withdrawals After Entry Deadline:
Immediately contact the Tournament Director if you need to withdraw from the tournament after entries close.
• If the withdrawal is due to a injury or illness, the USTA Regulations require the injured or ill player to submit written verification from a medical professional before the end of the day on November 28th (the last day of the tournament).
• If the withdrawal is due to a personal circumstance, the player must submit a written description of the situation no later than the end of the day on November 28th (the last day of the tournament) and the Referee shall determine whether the situation is a personal circumstance.
Written verification can be emailed to the Tournament Director (see contact information above).
Entry Fee Refunds When Withdrawal Occurs After Entry Deadline:
The Tournament Committee is required to refund a player's entry fee if:
• The withdrawal is for previously authorized entry into another tournament; or
• The withdrawal is for an authorized change by the player to another site hosting a 16 division (note that transfer to another site is only permitted when the draw at the other site is not full).
TIME & PLACE OF DRAW; PUBLICATION OF DRAWS AND START TIMES
All singles draws for USTA National Selection Tournaments taking place November 25-28 are made on Monday, November 21st. Both the singles and doubles draws will be made on this date. The draws will be made at the home of Tournament Director and will be published on or about Thursday, November 24th.
Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
The Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) is approximately 42 miles from Seascape Sports Club, but traffic can more than double commute times. Click the link to view the airlines that serve SJC.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is approximately 74 miles from Seascape Sports Club, but traffic can more than double commute times. Click the link to view the airlines that serve SFO.
Thursday, November 24th (Day Before Tournament Starts): Courts will be available at Seascape for drop in practice from noon to 5:00 pm (1505 Seascape Blvd, Aptos, CA 95003). Although not reserved for exclusive use, courts at Cabrillo College (6500 Soquel Dr Aptos, CA 95003) and UC Santa Cruz East Courts (420 Hagar Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95064) are also recommended. Additional courts at UC Santa Cruz West are also recommended (continue up High Street from the base of campus and turn right on to Heller Drive; turn right onto Oakes Road and park in the lot immediately to the left. Walk to the top of Rachel Carson College for the courts).
Practice Courts During Tournament at Tournament Sites: Practice courts at each tournament site will be available beginning one hour before first match times each day - up to 4 players per court may be necessary to give all players the ability to warm up. First match times are 8:00 am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. First match ties on Monday are 9:00 am.
Cabrillo College: Although not reserved for exclusive use by tournament participants, Cabrillo College (8 courts) will have availability for players and is with a 15 minute drive to all sites (provided the commute is not impacted by traffic)
Cabrillo College, 6500 Soquel Dr Aptos, CA 95003
Additional Practice Courts: Use the tennismaps.com website to locate public courts in the area. The following are suggested sites:
• Skylark (3 courts): 912 Coast Range Drive, Scotts Valley, CA 95066
• Jade Street Park (4 courts): 4400 Jade Street, Capitola, CA 95010
Practice Court Policies:
• Courts are available on a first come, first served basis.
• During high demand times, courts are to have four "Tournament Players" to a court. Coaches, parents, players not in the draw, and other tournament guests are NOT considered "Tournament Players."
• Courts are available in half-hour blocks. Please surrender your court if you have had use of it for a full half hour and players are waiting to get on.
• Please be courteous to other players, parents, and coaches. Unsportsmanlike conduct should be reported and is subject to penalty under the USTA Suspension Point System.
HOSPITALITY AND PLAYER SERVICES
Club Facilities: Players are welcome to use the swim and fitness facilities at Seascape Sports Club, which include a locker room with showers.
Water and Ice: Players are advised to bring water bottles/jugs to ensure they have ample water for proper hydration.
Seascape Sports Club - The club has an ice and water machine available for use by all participants.
Other Site(s) - Information will be posted closer to the tournament.
Hitting Pros: Information will be posted closer to the tournament.
Stringing: Open Court Tennis and Learning (OCTL)
Visit www.octltennis.com/stringing for current string inventory
Will Haydon: (650) 814-6511
Adam Mash: (415) 377-4458
Wilson is the official provider of tennis balls for USTA Junior National Championships. Each match will be played with three Wilson Championship Extra Duty tennis balls. New balls will be provided if a match goes to a full 3rd set.
All players are required to wear appropriate tennis attire and dress in a manner consistent with being a participant a USTA Junior National Tournament and a guest at a private tennis club. Compression shorts, sports bras, shirts with inappropriate language, shoes not designed for tennis, and any attire that is recreational and not tennis-oriented is not permitted. T-shirts (other than the tournament shirt) are not acceptable on the final Monday of the tournament. Tournament guests are also asked to dress in a manner consistent with being a guest at a private tennis club. Players and tournament guests not meeting the dress code may be asked to change prior to going on the court.
Animals are prohibited at all tournament sites, including in the parking lot and in parked automobiles.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER - @SSCtournaments
Receive up to date messages from the tournament by following us on Twitter.
Entry to this tournament is restricted. To see how entrants will be selected, follow the “Selection Process” link to the left. It is the player’s responsibility to check the selection list(s) after registering online to be sure that a check mark appears beside the player’s name on the list, in order to insure proper registration. Entries must be submitted by Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:59:00 AM Eastern Time. Only USTA members can register online if available.
In the future, you can jump straight to this tournament by entering the tournament identification number: 500000716 from the searchable schedule homepage.
To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information,
please go to your browser's help menu.