Congratulations Sportsmanship Award Recipients!
Saturday, June 8
Sunday, June 9
Saturday, June 15
Sunday, June 16
Tournament Sportsmanship Award
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE REGISTERING! When you register, be sure to provide your email address and cell phone number during the registration process. We do not have access to phone numbers and email addresses of the tournament participants UNLESS the player re-enters their contact information at the time of the event registration. This means that if a player does not enter their phone number and email information each time they register for a tournament, we will not be able to contact them for any reason, including withdrawals, defaults, etc. Your cooperation will ensure that we can continue to communicate necessary information to all of the tournament players.
HARBOR BAY CLUB
Harbor Bay Club
200 Packet Landing Rd
Alameda, CA 94502
SINGLES EVENT: Players will be selected as follows:
1) Eight Qualifiers – Each year USTA NorCal will designate two Open Tournaments in each age division preceding the Sectional Championships and the singles semifinalists in each age division of both tournaments (4 players from each tournament, 8 total players per division) who have submitted timely entries will be accepted into the Sectional Championships in the corresponding age division. In 2013, these tournaments are:
• City of Fremont Junior Open - May 5-6, 11-12 (ID #500021713). Entries will be limited per division to 48 singles players and 24 doubles teams, but may be expanded if fewer than this number register in some divisions.
• Sylvano Mother’s Day Junior Open - May 11-12, 18-19 (ID #500004813). Entries will be limited per division to 24 singles players and 12 doubles teams, but may be expanded if fewer than this number register in some divisions.
2) Two Wild Cards – Up to two wild cards that may be selected by the Wild Card Committee as follows:
• To be considered for a Wild Card, a player must submit a timely entry into the tournament and apply for a Wild Card no later than the entry deadline (see WILDCARD APPLICATION below).
• The Wild Card Committee is comprised of the Manager of Player Development, Junior Competition Coordinator, and Chair of Junior Council.
• Wild Cards do not have to be awarded.
3) Players on Sectional Final Ranking Lists – The remaining players will be selected from the most recently published sectional Final Ranking List.
4) Alternates and Late Applicants – The alternate list will be ordered based on the most recently published sectional Final Ranking List. Players who submit an entry after the deadline will be placed on the bottom of the Alternate List in the order in which they are received. Late entries received at the same time will be ordered by lot.
DOUBLES EVENT: Players will be selected in the following order:
1) Teams comprising two players in the singles draw shall be accepted.
2) Teams comprising one player in the singles draw and one alternate not in the singles draw.
3) Teams comprising two players not in the singles draw.
4) If more than the maximum number of entries is received, selection order is based:
• first, on highest combined standings and
• second, on highest combined doubles ranking points,
except that no team comprised of a Late Applicant shall be selected before a team comprised of timely applicants. Tournaments are NOT authorized to expand the draw size in order to accommodate teams.
For the purpose of determining selection of teams, below is the process of calculating combined standings and combined ranking points:
• A team’s combined standing is determined as follows: Player A holds the #200 standing and
Player B holds the #201 standing. The Team of A&B would have the combined standing of 401.
• Combined Doubles Ranking Points are determined as follows: Player A has 25 doubles ranking points and Player B has 10 doubles ranking points. The Team of AB would have combined doubles ranking points of 35.
Wild cards are available for junior players to play in USTA NorCal Sectional Championships, USTA Zone Team Championships and USTA National Team Championships, and USTA Intersectional Team Championships.
2013 Wild Card Request Form
• Saturday – June 8th
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Round of 64
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Doubles – Round of 32
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Doubles – Round of 16
• Sunday – June 9th
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Round of 32
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – First & Second Rounds
• Saturday – June 15th
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Round of 16
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Quarterfinal Round
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Third Round Qualifier
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Third Round
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Doubles – Quarterfinal Round
• Sunday – June 16th
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Semifinal Round
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Quarterfinal Qualifier
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Quarterfinals
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Doubles – Semifinal Round
• Monday – June 17th
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Singles – Final Round and 3rd/4th Playoff
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Semifinal Round
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Consolation Singles – Final Round
Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Main Draw Doubles – Final Round and 3rd/4th Playoff
Note: Schedule of play is subject to change by the Tournament Referee.
Due to a very tight schedule, we will not be able to accommodate any special schedule requests.
DOUBLES SIGN UP
All competitors that have been selected for singles will be eligible for doubles. Signing up for doubles online does not guarantee a spot in the draw.
If you have signed up for doubles but have not listed a partner by the time entries close, you will need to contact Tommy Tu via email at email@example.com stating who your doubles partner is or else you will be paired up randomly with someone who doesn’t have a partner. Please make sure to copy your doubles partner on the email as well!
If you did not sign up for doubles online and wish to play doubles, you must sign up with a partner by 2:00pm on Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 via email to Tommy Tu. Again, please make sure to copy your doubles partner on the email as well!
It is not the responsibility of the Tournament Committee to match a player with a partner, but we will do our best to help pair as many players as possible. Failure to send this email will result in the players not being registered into the doubles draw.
MATCH AND SCORING
• The match format for Singles Main Draw is best of three tiebreak sets.
• The match format for Singles Consolation is best of 3 tiebreak sets with a match tiebreak in lieu of a
• The match format for Doubles is an 8-game pro set for the first three rounds. The Semifinal & Final Rounds will be best of three tiebreak sets.
The Singles Draw will be limited to 64 players and will be a Feed-In Championship Draw that will feed in players through the quarterfinals. The Singles Draw will have a playoff for 3rd and 4th place.
The Doubles Draw will be limited to 32 teams and will be a Single Elimination Draw. The Doubles Draw will have a playoff for 3rd and 4th place.
The USTA NorCal Junior Competition Coordinator, Tommy Tu (Tournament Director), will seed all levels of the NorCal Sectional Championships – 18s, 16s, 14s & 12s.
Singles: The most recently published Sectional Final Ranking Lists will be used as a start for determining seeding. National USTA, ITF, ITA, WTA, and ATP rankings and standings will also be considered.
Doubles: Teams will be seeded in the order of their combined ranking using the most recently published Final Ranking List. For example, if Partner A holds the #1 ranking and Partner B holds the #10 ranking, the Team of A&B would have a combined ranking of 11. Teams that have the same combined ranking shall be seeded in the order of the total number of doubles ranking points held by each team. If one partner does not have a ranking, for the purposes of calculating the combined ranking, the unranked player shall be assigned a rank that is equivalent to one lower than the lowest ranked player on the Final Ranking List. For example, if Partner C holds the #1 ranking, Partner D does not have a ranking, and the Final Ranking List for this event has a total of 100 players on the list, Partner D is assigned a ranking of 101 and Team C&D have a combined ranking of 102. Teams with USTA National, ITF, ITA, WTA and ATP standings and rankings may also be considered for seeding.
Please check in at the tournament desk at least 15 minutes before your scheduled match time. Please go to the bathroom, fill your water bottle, etc. before you check in. Players are expected to check and comply with all scheduling done by the Tournament Committee.
Regulation IV.A.2. in the 2012 Friend at Court states, “The referee may penalize a player who is on site for lateness if a court is available and the player has failed to check in at the tournament desk by the scheduled match time." This means, if there is 1 open court at 10:00AM and there are 3 matches to put on, the Referee will start the clock for lateness for anyone who has not checked in for 10:00AM, even though there are not enough courts for all 3 matches.
Each player will receive a t-shirt and additional gift(s) for participating in the event. Snacks and fruits will be provided throughout the event.
POSTING OF DRAWS
The singles and doubles draws will be posted by 10:00am on Wednesday, June 5th.
The Wilson US Open ball will be utilized through the tournament. Each match will receive three balls.
WARM UP COURTS
There will be warm up courts available at HBC before the first matches (8:00AM) on Saturday and Sunday. For all other matches, warm up court availability is uncertain. HBC opens at 7:00AM.
There are two parks nearby with public courts:
• Leydecker Park (5 minutes away) – 3181 Mecartney Road, Alameda, CA 94502
• Krusi Park (5 minutes away) – 3001 Otis Drive, Alameda, CA 94501
PARKING & CLUB USE
Please DO NOT park in the Harbor Bay Club’s (HBC) parking lot as it is for members only. There is plenty of free street parking available right outside of the HBC’s parking lot. Also, the back gate between court #13 and #14 will be open. There is also plenty of free street parking behind that gate. The back gate is on Veterans Ct, which is the first right turn once you turn onto Island Drive.
Appropriate tennis attire is required at all times. Only shoes with non-marking soles are permitted.
Awards will be presented to all Main Draw singles and doubles finalists including 3rd/4th place finishers and Consolation Draw finalists.
• Clubhouse Bar & Grill – In Club
• South Shore Center – 523 South Shore Center West, Alameda, CA 94501 – Applebee’s, Chipotle, Jamba Juice, Safeway, Sushi House, Panera Bread, Zeytini Italian Restaurant ~ 2 miles from club
• Harbor Bay Landing Shopping Center – 875 Island Drive, Alameda, CA 94502 – Subway, La Val’s Pizza, CVS, Safeway, Angelfish Japanese Restaurant and more ~ 0.5 mile from club
• Park Street – Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501 – Subway, China House, Starbucks, New York Pizza, Hawaiian Drive-in, King of Thai Noodle and much more ~ 2 miles from club
• Panda Express – 8333 Oakport Street, Oakland, CA 94621 ~ 3 miles from Club
• In-N-Out Burger – 8300 Oakport Street, Oakland, CA 94621 ~ 3 miles from Club
• Hawaiian Drive-in and Tapioca Express – 2306 Encinal Ave, Alameda, CA 94501 ~ 2 miles from Club
Withdrawals Prior to Entry Deadline: If entries have not yet closed, a player may withdraw by scrolling up this TennisLink tournament homepage and click “Withdraw” under the Edit Registration box. You will need your confirmation number from your original registration to withdraw. The “Locate Confirmation Number” is also in the Edit Registration box. Because your credit card will not be charged prior to the entry deadline, no refund needs to be made.
Withdrawals After Entry Deadline: Should circumstances arise that will not allow you to compete in the tournament, please contact Michelle Wilson, the Tournament Referee, as soon as possible by telephone at firstname.lastname@example.org and (510) 263 – 0446 if you must withdraw from the tournament. Upon withdrawal, a detailed explanation of your reason for withdrawal will be requested in writing.
Refunds: A player’s entire entry fee will be refunded if the player withdraws no later than seven days before the start date of the tournament no refund is required beginning six days before the start date of the tournament. The fee for electronic entries is not a considered a part of the entry fee and is non-refundable.
The USTA NorCal Point Penalty Suspension System (PPSS) will be applied! The purpose of this System is to maintain fair and reasonable standards of conduct by all USTA NorCal players competing in any USTA-sanctioned tournament. For more information, please read the information on this page: USTA NorCal Point Penalty Suspension System
When entries close, a player shall not be entered in two or more sanctioned tournaments if any parts of the tournaments overlap, unless each Tournament Committee involved understands the situation and concurs in writing. If entries for the overlapping tournaments close on different dates, approval must be received from all Tournament Committees no later than the entry closing date that occurs last. Players who enter a tournament and play it to completion, may then enter another tournament with overlapping dates without permission. A player who is on the alternate list in one tournament is not considered in violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule if they enter another concurrent tournament.
SEE YOU IN JUNE!
This is a National Level 3 tournament and is open to Northern California Residents only.
Players are selected manually by the tournament director after the close of registration.
Entry to this tournament is open to specified residents only. Entries must be submitted by Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:59:00 PM Pacific Time. Only USTA members can register online if available.
In the future, you can jump straight to this tournament by entering the tournament identification number: 500040313 from the searchable schedule homepage.
To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information,
please go to your browser's help menu.