B16 Alternate List - October 7 @ 12:12 pm PT
THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!
Thank you participants for making the tournament a success, and to the
players and parents that pledged to support good sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is an
important aspect of our game and we appreciate your willingness to
acknowledge the important role you each play in ensuring fair play.
Tournament Committee had the privilege of awarding the following boy and girl with the Seascape Championship Sportsmanship Award. The Post-Match Sportsmanship Evaluations were used to narrow the field of possible winners, and the following individuals were selected by our Tournament Committee:
B16: Arvin Mohanty
G16: Julia Marks
While we were limited to recognizing only one player with the award to take home, there were many participants that stood out among their peers for how they honored the game this weekend. The players below are deserving of this honorable mention:
or lose, we hope your experience at the tournament was a great one.
USTA NorCal encourages all tournament players to complete an evaluation
on the tournament - the link is below.
USTA NORCAL TOURNAMENT EVALUATION
We highly recommend that you complete an evaluation on the tournament.
Annual feedback from our participants is the best way for us to
continue to improve the quality of the event for everyone. You will need
your USTA membership number to complete the evaluation. To reach the
USTA NorCal Tournament Evaluation, click on the link.
SUBMISSION OF LATE ENTRIES
Entries closed on Monday, September 26th at 11:59 pm ET. Until the draw is made, we will continue
entries to either fill remaining vacancies in a draw or, if the draw is
full, for the Alternate List. After the draw is made all late entries go are placed on the Alternate List. At the time of the posting of this
notice (September 27), the Boys' 16 draw is full.
Late Entries are accepted/ordered in the
order they are received. Late Entries DO NOT move
above timely entries. To submit a Late Entry, send the
following information by email to Andrea Norman (email address is
1. Player Name
2. Player USTA Number
3. Player Email Address
4. Player Telephone Number (preferably a cell phone at which you can be reached now or at the tournament)
If a player is accepted into the draw, payment
of the entry fee will be made by check or cash and arrangement for
payment will be made after the entry is accepted - credit cards can no
longer be accepted.
IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT INFORMATION – PLEASE READ BEFORE ENTERING
Thank you for your interest in playing the Boys’ and Girls’ 16 Junior Singles Championships at Seascape. During the registration process, please provide your telephone number (cell phone preferred) and email address. Failure to provide your contact information will limit the tournament’s ability to contact you.
This tournament is open to all age eligible players, regardless of whether they are residents of USTA NorCal. USTA Membership is required.
Entries close for the tournament at 11:59 pm Pacific Time (one minute before midnight) on Monday, September 26th. To avoid potential problems that arise when attempting to register at the last minute, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that players enter well in advance of the deadline. A player that does not enter by the deadline is only eligible to be a Late Applicant and is placed on the bottom of the Singles Alternate List and is prioritized last for selection into the draw.
ENTERING CONCURRENT TOURNAMENTS
Concurrent October National Junior Tournaments:
A USTA NorCal Junior player MAY NOT be entered in this Junior Singles Championship when entries close if the player has been accepted into a USTA National Selection Tournament or USTA Closed Regional Tournament also being held October 8-10 (collectively referred to as “October National Tournaments”). Players that are on the acceptance lists for both tournaments are in violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule and will be assessed 5 suspension points.
Players may remain on the list of accepted players for this Junior Singles Championship and on the alternate list for an October National Tournament until midnight on Sunday, October 2nd. After such time, a player may not withdraw from this Junior Singles Championship to play in a National Tournament. Doing so shall be considered a violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule.
Players may remain on the alternate lists of this tournament and an October National Tournament, but once a player accepts a position into a draw of one tournament that player may not subsequently withdraw from that tournament to play in another after the Sunday, October 2nd deadline. Doing so shall be considered a violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule.
Concurrent NorCal Tournaments:
When entries close, a player shall not be entered in this tournament and another sanctioned USTA NorCal Tournament if any parts of the tournaments overlap, unless both Tournament Committees involved understand the situation and concur in writing. If entries for the overlapping tournaments close on different dates, approval must be received from all Tournament Committees no later than the entry closing date that occurs last. Players who enter a tournament and play it to completion, may then enter another tournament with overlapping dates without permission. A player who is on the alternate list in one tournament is not considered in violation of the Concurrent Tournament Rule if they enter another concurrent tournament. Players desiring to enter more a tournament that overlaps must email the Tournament Director to request permission on or before entries close and receive this permission before entering.
DRAW AND MATCH FORMAT
The singles draw size is limited to 32 players. A Feed-In Championship whereby players are fed into the consolation through the Round of 16 will be played. The losing quarterfinalists will play off for 5th and 6th place and a playoff for 3rd and 4th place will also be held. All main draw matches and the 3rd/4th playoff will be the best of 3 Tiebreak sets; all consolation matches (including the quarterfinal playoff matches) will be the best of 3 Tiebreak sets with a 10-Point Match Tiebreak played in lieu of the 3rd set.
NORCAL RANKING INFORMATION
Please refer to the Ranking Rules & Tables at the link below for ranking points earned at the tournament.
TOURNAMENT SELECTION AND ALTERNATE INFORMATION
Tournament Selection Process:
Selection will be based on the order players with timely entries appear on the most recently published USTA NorCal Combined Sectional Final Ranking List of the division.
Singles Alternate List:
Players will be placed on the Alternate Lists as follows:
• Players with timely entries that were not selected for the tournament will be ordered based on the USTA NorCal Combined Sectional Final Ranking List of the division used to select players.
• Players with timely entries that were not selected and who do not appear on the USTA NorCal Combined Sectional Final Ranking List of the division will be ordered by lot.
• Late Applicants: A Late Applicant is a player who enters after the entry deadline. Regardless of position on a USTA NorCal Combined Sectional Final Ranking List, a Late Applicant is placed on the bottom of the Alternate List in the order in which the entry is received. Two Late Entries received at the same time are ordered by lot.
Publication of Selection and Alternate Lists:
The list of players selected for the tournament will be published to the "Players" Tab on this website on or about Wednesday, September 28. As soon as possible thereafter, an ordered list of alternates will be published to the top of this "Important Info" Tab. The ordered Alternate List will be used to replace players that withdraw from the tournament.
Onsite Alternates are those players on the Alternate Lists who have come to the tournament site to be a last-minute replacement for a withdrawing player. Onsite Alternates may be admitted into the singles main draw to replace withdrawing players until the completion of the first round of play. Any player receiving a bye, a withdrawal or a retirement in the first round can also be replaced by an on-site alternate in the second round because this player has not yet played an on-court match in the event. On-Site Alternates may not play in the Feed-In Championship unless they have first played in the singles main draw.
Any Onsite Alternate desiring admittance must check in and be ready for play no later than 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled match time of the event for which they are an alternate. The order of the alternates is based on the original Alternate Lists published by the tournament, not a more recently published list, and not in the order in which the players check in.
Eight players will be seeded in each 32-player draw. The Tournament Committee will seed the events based on the most recently published USTA NorCal Singles Seeding List of the division; however, if entries are received from players who have a USTA National Standing of the date entries close in the top 50 of any division, those players will be considered for seeding.
Provide inclement weather does not affect the tournament schedule the rounds will be played each day in the order listed below.
Saturday (Day 1):
Round 1 Singles Main Draw (16 matches) - start times begin at 8:00 am
Round 2 Singles Main Draw (8 matches); Round 1 Consolation Singles (8 matches)
Sunday (Day 2):
Round 2 Consolation Singles (8 matches) - matches may start as early as 8:00 am
Round 3 Singles Main Draw/Quarterfinals (4 matches)
Round 3 Consolation Singles/Quarterfinals (4 matches)
Round 4 Singles Main Draw/Semifinals (2 matches); Quarterfinal Playoff Round 1 (2 matches)
Monday (Day 3):
Singles Final, Singles 3rd/4th Playoff, Quarterfinal Playoff Final, Consolation Singles Semifinal
To Follow: Consolation Singles Final
Inclement Weather Information:
Information on if and how inclement weather affects the tournament schedule will be posted to top of this website as court conditions change. In the unlikely event matches have to be cancelled due to inclement weather, the order of cancellation is as follows: singles consolation, singles main draw.
TIME & PLACE OF DRAW; PUBLICATION OF DRAWS & START TIMES
• The draw will be made on or about October 3rd at the home of Tournament Director Andrea Norman.
• Draws with start times will be published no later than Wednesday, October 5 at 10:00 am.
TOURNAMENT SITES AND DRAW ABBREVIATIONS
The following are the abbreviations that will appear on the draws:
Seascape Sports Club: SEASC on Draw Sheet
1505 Seascape Blvd, Aptos, CA 95003
• FROM THE NORTH: Take Hwy 1 South from Santa Cruz & exit at Larkin Valley Rd/San Andreas Blvd. Bear right onto San Andreas. At the third street, turn right onto Seascape Blvd. The club will be on the right after .7 miles.
• FROM THE SOUTH: Take Hwy 1 North to Larkin Valley Rd. Turn right onto San Andreas Blvd. From there, follow the above directions.
Aptos High School: APTOS on Draw Sheet
7301 Freedom Blvd, Aptos, CA 95003
• FROM THE NORTH: Take Highway 1 South. Exit at Freedom Blvd. Turn left onto Freedom. Turn right at the second light into the HS. Drive up into the High School and you can't miss the courts just past the main buildings.
• FROM THE SOUTH: Take Highway 1 North. Exit at Freedom Blvd. Bear right onto Freedom and follow the above directions.
Important Note Regarding Traffic and Penalties for Lateness: Players need to plan accordingly as heavy beach traffic on Highway 17 can more than double commute times. Give yourself ample time to arrive for a match time as penalties for lateness will be enforced. If you are running late, please phone the tournament desk - (408) 892-7273.
COMMUNICATING WITH THE TOURNAMENT
Please use the Tournament Director’s email address and phone number above for all written correspondence and inquiries related to this tournament.
Withdrawals Prior to Entry Deadline:
Prior to entries closing, a player may withdraw and automatically receive a refund of your entry fee by clicking on the "Withdrawal" link that is in the Edit Registration box at the top right of this page.
Withdrawals After Entry Deadline:
Immediately contact the tournament in writing if you need to withdraw from the tournament after entries close.
• If the withdrawal is due to a injury or illness, the USTA Regulations require the injured or ill player to submit written verification from a medical professional before the end of the day on October 10th (the last day of the tournament).
• If the withdrawal is due to a personal circumstance, the player must submit a written description of the situation no later than the end of the day on October 10th (the last day of the tournament) and the Referee shall determine whether the situation is a personal circumstance.
Written verification can be faxed or emailed - see above for fax and email.
Entry Fee Refunds When Withdrawal Occurs 6 Days or Less Before Start of Tournament:
No refund is required when a withdrawal happens on or after Sunday, October 2. If a player withdraws before this date, the player’s $55 entry fee will be refunded.
Practice courts will be available at the tournament sites for warm up beginning one hour prior to first match times each day of the tournament - up to 4 players per court may be necessary to give all players the ability to warm up.
Although no special arrangements have been made at these sites, additional courts in the area are at the following locations:
• Harbor High School (6 courts): 300 La Fonda Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95062
• Scotts Valley High School (6 courts): 555 Glenwood Drive, Scotts Valley, CA 95066
• Cabrillo College (8 courts): 6500 Soquel Drive, Aptos, CA 95003
Practice Court Policies:
• Courts are available on a first come, first served basis.
• During high demand times, courts are to have four “Tournament Players” to a court. Coaches, parents, players not in the draw, and other tournament guests are NOT considered “Tournament Players.”
• Courts are available in half-hour blocks. Please surrender your court if you have had use of it for a full half hour and players are waiting to get on.
• Please be courteous to other players, parents, and coaches. Unsportsmanlike conduct should be reported and is subject to penalty under the USTA Suspension Point System.
CLOSEST HOTEL OPTION: SEASCAPE BEACH RESORT
The closest hotel accommodations to Seascape Sports Club is the Seascape Beach Resort.
One Seascape Resort Drive, Aptos, CA 95003
OTHER HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS
Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn
7500 Old Dominion Court, Aptos, CA 95003
1620 West Beach Street Watsonville, CA 95076
Best Western Capitola By-the-Sea Inn & Suites
1435 41st Ave, Capitola, CA 95010
116 Aptos Beach Drive, Aptos, CA 95003
Motel 6 Watsonville
125 Silver Leaf Drive, Watsonville, CA
Capitola Venetian Hotel
1500 Wharf Road, Capitola, CA
720 Hill Street, Capitola, CA 95010
HOSPITALITY AND PLAYER SERVICES
• Water and Ice: Players are advised to bring water bottles/jugs to ensure they have ample water for proper hydration.
Seascape Sports Club - The club also has an ice and water machine available for use by all participants.
Autos High School - Water in a cooler dispenser and ice will be provided at the tournament desk.
• Club Facilities: Players are welcome to use the swim and fitness facilities at Seascape Sports Club, which include a locker room with showers.
• Nearby Food Services: Nearby restaurants are located at the Seascape Village Shopping Center - click on the link below for the list of shops.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION OF OUTSTANDING SPORTSMANSHIP
• Awards: First through fourth place finishers in singles shall receive awards. Additionally, the winner of the singles quarterfinal playoff (5th place) and the FIC winner will receive awards.
• Sportsmanship: Players shall be recognized daily for acts of outstanding sportsmanship with NorCal Sportsmanship Bag Tags. We accept sportsmanship award nominations from players, coaches, parents and spectators. At the conclusion of the tournament, a Sportsmanship Award will be presented to a player in each division.
Wilson US Open Extra Duty
All players are required to wear appropriate tennis attire and dress in a manner consistent with being a guest at a private tennis club. Compression shorts, sports bras, shirts with inappropriate language, shoes not designed for tennis, and any other attire that is recreational and not tennis-oriented is not permitted. T-shirts (other than the tournament shirt) are not acceptable on the final day of the tournament. Tournament guests are also asked to dress in a manner consistent with being a guest at a private tennis club. Players and tournament guests not meeting the dress code may be asked to change prior to going on the court.
Animals are prohibited at all playing sites, including in the parking lot and in parked automobiles.
Players are selected manually by the tournament director after the close of registration.
Entry to this tournament is open to all USTA members. Entries must be submitted by Monday, September 26, 2016 11:59:00 PM Pacific Time. Only USTA members can register online if available.
In the future, you can jump straight to this tournament by entering the tournament identification number: 500016016 from the searchable schedule homepage.
To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information,
please go to your browser's help menu.