Thanks for a great tournament
GOOD LUCK at Southerns and beyond,We will see you at the GA Jr Open, July 13-16 !!!
Cloudy, but no rain indicated on the radar.
Click "more info" for NOAA Weather forecast and radar.
If it rains, Twitter Helps.
When it rains we post information to Twitter first. Get instant tournament and weather updates sent to your phone via Twitter or on your Twitter account.
Just log in to Twitter to follow GaChallenger. Search for user "GaChallenger" or click "more info".
To receive text updates through Twitter make sure you activate your mobile device through your twitter account and then turn device updates on for "GaChallenger"
Remember, our Twitter address is http://twitter.com/gachallenger
Friday 6:00-7:30pm - Courtesy Early Check-in (Rome Floyd Tennis Center).
Saturday 6:30am - Check-in Desk opens at Rome Floyd
Saturday 8:00am - Singles play begins.
Two rounds of singles will be scheduled for Saturday.
Saturday - Doubles Play Begins (Likely, only one round will be scheduled.)
Sunday 7:15am - A 15-20 minute Non-denominational Chapel Service will be held at Rome Floyd Tennis Center.
We plan to start Sunday morning with doubles.....Rain could change things, but,......STAY TUNED....
The final day for each event will be determined by the number of entries. Singles players will play until they lose twice, or get a trophy, whichever comes first.
SCROLL DOWN for Hotel and complete tournament information.
Detailed Driving Directions are at the bottom of page.
HOST HOTELS (alphabetically listed)
BEST WESTERN EXECUTIVE INN
217 Hwy. 411 S., Rome, 30161, 706-234-3161,
- Guest Rooms: $ 75.00 standard King or Queen/Queen Room. (Rate available directy by phone with hotel.)
- Oversized Rooms and King Suites available at a higher rate.
- Complimentary Expanded Continental Breakfast, FREE High Speed Internet, Micro-fridges, irons, ironing boards, coffee makers, and hair dryers in all rooms.
- Cancellation policy: Must cancel by 4:00pm on the day before arrival to avoid one room night being charged.
23 Chateau Drive, Rome 30161 - Phone: 706.232.6055 - Fax: 706.232.1110
- Standard King Suite Guest Rooms: $109.00 (Sleeps 3 w/pull out sofa bed), Standard Double Queen Suite Guest Room: $119.00 (Sleeps 5 w/pull out sofa bed)
- "Event Rates" available only by calling Hotel.
- All rooms have 37" flat-screen TV, Mini fridge, and microwave.
- FREE High Speed Wireless Internet, Indoor pool open year-round, 24-hour on-site Fitness Center, Complimentary USA Today, Free HBO Movie Channel.
- Deluxe HOT Continental Breakfast Including Hot Eggs, Variety of Hot Breakfast Meats, Belgian Waffles, Pastries, Variety of Cereals, Fresh Fruit, and other great breakfast items.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid one night room charge.
Comfort Suites - Rome looks forward to providing deluxe accommodations during your stay in Rome for the Tennis Tournaments!
COUNTRY INN and SUITES
231 Hwy 411 S. Rome, 30161, 706-232-3380.
- Standard Room: $89.00 (King), 2 Queen Beds: $95.00, 2-Room Suites: $115 (King) & $125.00(2 Queen).
- Newly remodeled, one million dollars spent in renovations and upgrades.
- THE COUNTRY INN & SUITES is Rome’s finest award winning hotel, offering amenities comparable to upper scale hotels such as: expanded breakfast bar, free high speed internet access, out-door pool, in-room voice mail, in-room data ports, micro-fridge in all rooms, one bedroom suites, and many more.
- For some it’s the cozy accommodations, breakfast and great rates. For others it’s the little things we do with the personal touches of home.
- Cancellation Policy: Adjustments to arrival dates must be made 48 hours prior to arrival.
840 Turner McCall Blvd., Rome, 30161 706-295-0400.
- Guest Rooms: $64.00 + tax.
- Business Center, Free Wireless High Speed Internet, Gym/Fitness Center, Meeting/banquet Space, Swiming Pool
>Free Daybreak Breakfast and Free USA Today
- Free Local Calls and 800 # Access
- All rooms have: Microwave, Refrigerator, Alarm Clock, Hairdryer, Iron and Ironing Board
- Copy and Fax Service
- 24-hr Coffee in Lobby, Coffee Maker In All Rooms, RV - Bus Parking.
- Cancellation policy: Cancel prior to 4pm the day of arrival to avoid a one-night charge.
390 Dodd Blvd SE, Rome, GA, 706-234-0014
- Standard Guest Room: $52.00 Single or Double + tax
- Free Wireless Internet access
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- Free local calls plus 800 access
- All rooms have microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker (irons, ironing boards and hair dryer available at front desk)
- Copy and fax service
- All rooms are indoor corrider
- Cancellation policy - Cancel prior to 6:00 pm day of arrival to avoid 1 night charge.
110 W. Second Ave., Rome 30161, 706-378-4837,
- Suites: $129 - $239 (+13% Tax).
- Hawthorn Suites is in WALKING DISTANCE of Rome Floyd Tennis Center, right in the heart of Rome.
- 2 night minimum reservation per room.
- 24-hour Cancellation - Guests have until 24 hours before check-in date to cancel without penalty. Late cancellations and No-Shows will be charged additional fee of one night at room rate.
- Early Check-out penalty: Guests who depart before reserved check-out date will be charged an additional fee of one night at room rate.
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS
(Adjacent to and managed by Country Inn and Suites.)
35 Hobson Way, Rome, GA 30161 706-232-0021
- Standard Guest Room: $95.00 (King), 2 Queen Beds: $104.00, King Suite with Sleeper Sofa: $120 , 2-Queen Suite with Sleeper Sofa: $130 (13% Tax)
- State of the art, brand new.
- All rooms have microwave, refrigerator, and 32-inch Flat Panel HD TV.
- Complimentary Hot Full Breakfast Buffet.
- Fitness Center and Business Center on site.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancel 48 hous prior to arrival to avoid a one-night penalty.
LAQUINTA INN & SUITES
15 Chateau Drive, Rome, GA, 30152, Phone 706-291-1034, Fax 706-291-1036, Laquintarome@aol.com
- Standard Guest Room: (1 King or 2 Queen Beds) $89.99
- King Suite (1 King with Pull out Sofa Bed) $109.99
- Family Suite (2 Queen Beds with Pull Out sofa Bed) $129.99
- All Rooms have Fridge, Microwave, Coffee Maker and 32” Flat screen T.V.
- Earn Points or Airline Miles With each Stay
- Fitness Center, Business Center, Onsite Guest Laundry, Pool & Spa
- Free High-speed Wired/Wireless Internet
- Complimentary Hot Breakfast
- Cancellation Policy: Cancel 4 P.M Day before Arrival to avoid one night room charge.
40 Grace Dr., Rome, 30161, 706-291-7797, Fax 706-291-6858, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guest Rooms: $70.00 (Single King or 2 Full-size Beds)....."Tennis Rate" available only by calling Hotel.
- All rooms have 37" flat-screen TV, fridge, and microwave.
- FREE High Speed Wireless Internet, Indoor pool open year-round, 24-hour on-site Fitness Center, Compliementary USA Today, Free Showtime Movie Channel.
- Deluxe Continental Breakfast including biscuits and gravy, Belgian waffles, variety of grits/oatmeal, fruit, and much, much more.
- Join Choice Privileges to take advantage of promotions. Click "more info" for details.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancel by 6:00 PM the day before arrival to avoid one night's room charge.
712 Avenue A, Rome, GA 30165, 706-314-1115, Fax 706 314 1120
- Guest Rooms: $59.99 - Double and $59.99 - King.
A Complimentary Continental Breakfast is included.
- The River City Inn is less than 1/2 mile from Rome Floyd Tennis Center.
- For the comfort of our guests, we offer all NON-SMOKING rooms.
- All our King rooms have a Temper-Pedic matrtress to provide a more peaceful and sound nights sleep.
- Each room with Doubles Beds has Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattresses for the added comfort of a restful sound sleep
- Cancellation policy: In order to avoid a penalty, all cancellations must be completed 24 hours prior to arrival.
Model High School
3252 Calhoun Road, NE, Rome, GA 30161
Turn LEFT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd.
Go 0.2 mile to dead end.
Go approximately 0.3 mile to 3rd traffic light and turn LEFT onto Broad Street
Go approximately 0.5 on Broad Street
Continue STRAIGHT ahead on Martin Luther King (changes to Kingston Road) for approximately 1.7 mile
Etowah Park is on LEFT …. Look for sign that says "DRIVING RANGE
Go to first light past Etowah Park and take a left onto Loop 1.
Go to first light and turn right on Calhoun Road.
Go approximately 2 miles on Calhoun Road
Model High School is on the Right.
Total Distance: Approx. 7.2 miles
Don't leave trash on the courts or behave in an inappropriate manner. You have been given the privilege to use their courts.
Match Scoring Formats
- Because of heat all Singles matches on Saturday will play 2 sets with a Match Tiebreak in lieu of a 3rd set.
- On Sunday and thereafter Main Draw Singles (Ages 12-18) will play the Best of 3 sets.
- All BG12-18 consolation matches will play 2 sets with a match tiebreak in lieu of a 3rd set.
- BG10 will play 2 first-to-4 games short sets with a 7-pt set Tiebreak in lieu of a 3rd set.
- Doubles will play 8-game pro-sets with a "first to 10 points" match tie-treak at 8-all.
- BG10 Doubles play 8-game pro-sets with a first to 7-pt tiebreak at 8-all.
Pro Penn Marathon balls are the tournament ball.
10 and under events will use the Penn QST 60 orange ball.
Boys' and Girls' 10's Singles matches will play two first-to-4 games short sets with a 7-pt set tiebreak played in lieu of a thrid set.
The following modifications will be implemented for 10 and under play.
- Boys/Girls 10's will play all matches on a 60-foot court
- 10 Boys and Girls must use racquets with a maximum length of 25 inches.
- Low compression balls suitable for 60-foot courts will be used. (Orange 50% compression balls)
Singles Seeds will be ordered by: Southern Standings (up to 200), then by GA Standings.
Players with high Southern Standing (#1-19) in the next lower age group will be inserted using the Southern Seeding calculator.
Doubles Seeds will be determined by adding the total Georgia Standings of each pair and ordering them by lowest total of standings.
3-Minute Coaching Break
In matches playing a match tiebreak in lieu of a third set there will be a 3-minute coaching break between the end of the second set and the match-deciding tiebreak. This 3-minute break is treated the same as the 2-minute set break between first and second sets, except that players may receive coaching on the court. Players may not leave the court. unless requesting a toilet break. The toilet break will be taken after the 3-minute coaching break. No coaching is allowed during the toilet break for either player.
Bring Ice with you for your first match of the day, particularly if you carry more than one cooler.
All of our ice machines are out of service.
We will happily provode ice for refills, but please bring your coolers already filled with ice for the first match of the day!
Medical Release Form
As you already know, everyone must have a signed medical release form at check-in. You can print one from the Internet or just fill one out when you check in. DON'T MAIL, or fax, the release to us. To print a form, click "more info".
Advance Rehabilitation will be providing a Certified Athletic Trainer for the tournament. The athletic trainer will be available 30 min prior to the start of play each until the end of the day for taping, injury treatment, injury evaluation, and assist with searching further medical treatment if needed. The athletic trainer will be stationed at Rome Floyd Tennis Center. For more information about Advance Rehabilitation click "more info."
Electronic Devices Prohibited on court
Players may not use electronic devises on court that are designed for communication (cell phones, pda's, etc.) or data storage/display (pocket notebook, rolodex, word processor, etc.). Use of these devices will result in immediate code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct. (A device that is in the "ON" mode constitutes use.) Notes and printed materials brought on court for reference with a player are permitted.
Starting in 2007 we have used 5-Minute scheduling and it has been successful. Scheduling every 5 minutes will mean that very few matches will be scheduled as part of a group, except for the large group of matches that will start each day.
Check your match time carefully so that you won’t be late.
Directions to Rome Floyd Tennis Center from I-75 Exit
- 301 West 3rd Street, Rome, GA
- Go west (left if you are coming from Atlanta) on GA Hwy 20.
- Eventually, GA Hwy 20 will merge into US Hwy 411 Follow 411 into Rome.
- As you enter Rome, you pass a Ford dealership on the Right,
- Go past the Dean Ave. Exit and immediately take a RIGHT at the next exit onto US 27 North (the exit will be marked "Rome").
- Go 2.3 miles to the 5th traffic light (Checkers on the corner - Hurry...Checker BC Cheddar, Buffalo Chicken $1.00!)
- Turn LEFT onto Broad Street and go 0.3 mile to the 4th traffic light at 5th Avenue (El Zarape on the corner)
- Turn RIGHT and go 0.2 mile to the 3rd traffic light at W. 3rd Street
- Turn LEFT on W. 3rd Street.
- Rome Floyd Tennis Center will be 0.2 mile on the RIGHT.
- Total distance from US 411 - 3.0 miles
- For a map click "more info".
Sunday Morning Chapel Service
A 15-20-minute non-denominational chapel service will be held at Rome Floyd Tennis Center on Sunday at 7:15 a.m.. The courts will be open by 6:00 for warm-up. The service should end in time to make an 8:00 match at the satellite sites.
Alternate Directions to Rome from Atlanta and points south of I-20
- From downtown Atlanta take I-20 west to Thornton Road (north, i.e. turn right)
- From Atlanta Airport take Camp Creek Parkway. (west, the only way it goes)
- From I-285 southwest of Atlanta take Camp Creek Parkway (west, left if going north on I-285). (After you cross I-20 (Camp Creek is called Thornton Road)
- Stay on Thornton Road approximately 35 miles to Rockmart. This road will change names several times (various peoples’ names, but is mostly US Hwy 278.
- As you approach Rockmart, there will be a Sonic Drive-In on the right.
- At the traffic light just past Sonic, turn right on GA 101.
- Stay on GA 101 approximately 18 miles to Rome.
- After you cross US Hwy 411, go 1/2 mile to the first traffic light.
- Turn left and immediately to the right and stay on Hwy 101.
- Go 1.6 miles to W.3rd St. (1st light past Broad Street.)
- Turn right on W. 3rd St. Tennis center is on the left.
- 301 West 3rd Street, Rome, GA
- For a map click "more info".
Directions from I-75 southbound from Tennessee
- Take Exit 312 (GA 53 West)
- Turn RIGHT on GA HWY 53 West
- Go Approximately 22.7 miles to intersection with Broad Street (GA Hwy 293) in Rome (first traffic light past N. Broad Baptist Church)
- Turn RIGHT onto Broad Street
- Go 0.5 mile on Broad Street
- Turn RIGHT onto 5th Avenue (El Zarape on the corner
- Go 0.3 mile to 3rd traffic light
- Turn LEFT on W. 3rd Street
- Rome Floyd Tennis Center is 0.2 mile on Right.
- For a map click "more info".
Up to 5 satellite sites will be used. The distance from the main site is between 2.75 miles and 7.5 miles. Directions to all sites will be available at check-in at Rome Tennis Center. Directions to some of the sites are below.
Directions to Alto Park (ALT)
- Turn RIGHT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd St. Go 0.1 mile to dead end.
- Turn RIGHT.
- Go approximately 0.4 mile to 1st traffic light.
- Turn LEFT onto Shorter Avenue (GA Hwy 20).
- Go a little more than 2 miles to 1st traffic light past DAIRY QUEEN (on Left).
- Turn LEFT on Burnett Ferry Road. (The park is on this road, all appearances to the contrary.)
- Go approximately 2.7 miles to Alto Park.
- Turn RIGHT into Alto Park and follow driveway (it sort of turns to the right.)
- TOTAL DISTANCE ~ 5.4 miles (1014 Burnett Ferry Rd SW, Rome, GA )
Directions to Darlington School (DS) from Rome Floyd TC
Matches will be played at Darlington School
Darlington School has graciously offered their newly renovated courts for match play this year. Remember, this prestigious school is ALLOWING you to use THEIR courts. Be considerate of their generosity by conducting yourself as ladies and gentlemen with propriety and modesty. Be careful not to leave litter, trash, and drink containers on the premises.
Directions from Rome Floyd Tennis Center are:
Turn RIGHT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd.
Go 0.1 mile to dead end.
Turn LEFT onto Hwy 101 (2nd Ave.)
Go approximately 1.6 miles to Stop Sign.
Go STRAIGHT 0.6 mile to US Hwy 27 South (sign says Gadsden - Cedartown)
Go approximately 0.9 mile to Darlington Drive-Old Lindale Road exit.
At end of Exit ramp turn LEFT.
At Stop Sign turn RIGHT onto Darlington Dr.
Darlington is approximately 0.5 mile on RIGHT just after the Railroad Track.
Total Distance: ~ 3.9 miles (1014 Cave Spring Rd SW, Rome, GA 30161)
Coosa International Tennis Academy is the year-round tennis training program offered by Rome's Coosa Country Club. Offered as an extracurricular opportunity to Darlington School resident students, CITA's Junior Performance Program enrolls highly motivated male and female student-athletes who share a common goal - to obtain a premier college-preparatory education and elite tennis training within a single, competitive program. CITA's experienced staff and innovative tennis training program combine with Darlington's rigorous academic offerings, caring faculty and first-rate facilities to offer a unique academic and athletic environment designed to prepare students for collegiate opportunities. Darlington resident students who participate in CITA live in one of the school's six student houses, three for boys and three for girls, and train with CITA professionals. Darlington School is a coeducational, college preparatory day and boarding school established in 1905. For information, please call 1-800-368-4437.
Directions to Etowah Park (ETO) from Rome Floyd TC
Turn LEFT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd.
Go 0.2 mile to dead end.
Turn RIGHT Go approximately 0.3 mile to 3rd traffic light.
Turn LEFT onto Broad Street.
Go approximately 0.5 on Broad Street.
Continue STRAIGHT ahead on Martin Luther King (changes name to Kingston Road) for approximately 1.7 mile.
Etowah Park is on LEFT
Look for sign that says "GOLF Driving Range." (It is easier to see than the Etowah Park sign.)
TOTAL DISTANCE ~ 2.75 miles (1325 Kingston Rd NE, Rome, GA)
Directions to Georgia Highlands College (GHC)
- Turn RIGHT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd.
- Go 0.1 mile to dead end.
- Turn LEFT onto Hwy 101 (2nd Ave.)
- Go approximately 1.6 miles to Stop Sign.
- Go STRAIGHT 0.6 mile to US Hwy 27 South (sign says Gadsden - Cedartown).
- Go approximately 5.1 miles to Georgia Highlands College.
- The College is on the LEFT (just past traffic light with Kangaroo and Hardees on right).
- After turning into the College, Tennis Courts are to the RIGHT.
- Total Distance: ~ 7.5 miles (3175 Cedartown Hwy SE, Rome, GA)
Directions to Shorter Univ. (SHO) from Rome Floyd TC
Directions to Shorter University (SHO) from Rome Floyd Tennis Center
(315 Shorter Ave Sw Rome, GA 30165-4267)
• Turn RIGHT out of tennis center onto W. 3rd St.
• Go 0.1 mile to dead end. Turn RIGHT.
• Go approximately 0.3 mile to 1st traffic light.
• Turn LEFT at light onto Turner-McCall.
• Street changes name to Shorter Ave.
• Go approximately 0.6 mile to 3rd traffic light.
• Turn LEFT at traffic light onto Sherwood Road.
• Immediately turn LEFT into entrance to Shorter University.
• At entrance gate, get directions to courts from attendant.
• Courts are on the LEFT next to the gymnasium.
Total distance: ~1.1 miles.
Rest periods between singles matches
The following heat policy will be implemented: When players are scheduled to play 2 singles matches in one day, they will be offered a rest period equal to the length of their first match (up to 3 hours). They will be offered a minimum of 2 hours rest regardless of first match length. This rest period guideline does not apply to doubles.
Withdrawals and Refunds
WithdrawalsAfter the entry deadline and entries have closed, a player shall not withdraw from a tournament except for illness, injury, personal emergency, or previously authorized entry into another tournament.
If you withdraw online before entries close, there is no penalty and your entry fee will be credited by the TennisLink entry system.
Since there are fewer than 7 days until the start of the tournament, if you withdraw after entries close, there will be no refund regardless of reason.
ALL Georgia players are eligible to play in the Challenger.
Draws sizes are unlimited. If you enter you will be accepted to play.
Players in the 12, 14, and 16 age groups who are ranked in the top 30 in the May 14, 2013 Georgia Standings must enter singles in the next older age group.
This restriction does not apply to players in the 10 and 18 age groups. They may enter their natural age group regardless of ranking.
This restriction applies to singles entries only. Players may enter any doubles age group for which they are age eligible
Players ranked in the top 30 in the May 14 rankings will be moved to the next higher age division without any notice by the tournament.
The Doubles Deadline is 6:00 pm Wednesday
Doubles Registration Procedure for 2013
To allow players to play singles and doubles as concurrently as possible, USTA GA State Championships will start doubles on the first day of the tournament. Doubles registration will be done on-line and via email only.
After the on-line registration deadline and before the doubles deadline:
- If you did not register on-line, you can register for doubles only by email.
- If you registered on-line and want to withdraw after the on-line registration deadline, you must do it by email.
- You may indicate or change your partner by email.
- After the doubles deadline, if you entered, either on-line or via email, without indicating a partner, you will be randomly paired with a partner by the tournament.
- If an odd number of players are entered, and you are drawn last, you will be put in the draw without a partner. You will have until 24 hours before your first scheduled doubles match to find a partner. If you fail to find a partner, you will be taken out of the draw and put on the waiting list.
- If you decide after the doubles deadline that you want to play doubles, you will be put on a doubles waiting list.
- If you sign up for doubles, either on-line or via email, and fail to show up for your scheduled doubles match, you will be given suspension points for "default-no show."
- A Facebook Group has been set up to help players locate partners. Don't post personal information.
- To go to the group click "more info"
The ACT Test will be offered in Rome on June 8, 2013 at Rome High School
(Site code 191030)........ and at Shorter College (Site code 008600). If you plan to take the ACT, please do so in Rome. We cannot schedule around tests taken at other sites.
We make scheduling accommodation for players in the Boys' and Girls' 18 age groups on Saturday.
Boys' and Girls' 18 players who notify us by June 3 that they are taking the test will be scheduled at 1:30 or later.
Players who fail to notify us by June 3 will not automatically receive this courtesy.
Accommodation cannot be made for players taking the ACT at sites other than Rome.
Players in other age groups, particularly 16's, cannot be adjusted, since those are the largest draws and 2 rounds must be played on Saturday.
Directions to Shorter University (SHO)Directions will be posted by 6:00 Thursday.
UPDATED First Match Times are in Reports Section
There have been changes in Boys' 14 and Girls' 14 Singles and Boys' 18 Doubles
WARNING !!!! Second match times are to help you plan. They ARE NOT OFFICIAL.
Only the First Match time is official. Times for succeednig matches will be posted on the draw sheets at your match site.
This warning applies to published draw sheets, as well.
Draws will be posted Friday, 9:00 AM.
Friday Check-in 6:00-7:30 p.m.
A courtesy check-in will be held at Rome Floyd Tennis Center Friday 6:00-7:30pm.
If you check-in on Friday, you should report directly to your match site on Saturday.
If your first Saturday match is scheduled at a satellite site and you haven't already checked in on Friday, you will need to check-in at Rome Floyd Tennis Center an hour before your first match on Saturday.
Saturday Check-in will begin at 6:30a.m.
GEORGIA LEVEL 2 TOURNAMENT. STA LEVEL 4 TOURNAMENT.
No Selection Process. All registered players will be selected.
Entry to this tournament is open to specified residents only. Entries must be submitted by Tuesday, June 04, 2013 9:00:00 PM Eastern Time. Only USTA members can register online if available.
In the future, you can jump straight to this tournament by entering the tournament identification number: 703457813 from the searchable schedule homepage.
* For tournaments with start dates between today and December 2013 the fees displayed
include a non-refundable processing fee and apply for events entered in one transaction.
Additional fees may apply for events entered in separate transactions.
For tournaments with start dates after December 2013 the total fee will be displayed
To use TennisLink, cookies must be enabled in the user's browser. For more information,
please go to your browser's help menu.